Weekend Reading List: What Conspiracist Videos Sell You
The X Files, period feminism and a pub crawl with Marx: what to read this weekend
- Cannes Film Festival opened this week – and aside from the usual lack of female representation in the main competition, the other conspicuous absence is Netflix, which removed its titles for consideration. Vadim Rizov looks at what the dispute tells us about future trends in cinema.
- Marissa Brostoff on The X Files, coming of age, and the end of history.
- When you watch Alex Jones’s conspiracy channel Infowars, you consume twice: ‘first as media, and a second time as branded food products.’
- The ‘unenviable task of pricing out the difference between claiming to be feminist, and acting the part’ that one period pants startup is facing.
- The most deadly form of identity politics: American patriotism.
- Ripping up paving stones, smashing lamps and picking fights with the English: a pub crawl with Marx in the late 1850s.