Weekend Reading List: the Shallow Wokeness of Spotify
Cursed images, the latest chill wave and Janelle Monáe’s ‘emotion pictures’: what to read this weekend
- How fashion designer Kate Spade, who passed away earlier this week, offered a ‘Holly Golightly sophistication for the masses’.
- Liz Pelly investigates Spotify’s The Smirnoff Equalizer: ‘a brand partnership in the form of a woke algorithmic discovery tool’.
- On that note, don’t miss Paul Rekret writing on what music’s latest ‘turn to chill’, from the charts to algorithmically organized playlists, signifies.
- Rahel Aima on eBay auctions of haunted paintings, and the cursed image in the digital age.
- And finally, Adrienne Brown writes on Janelle Monáe’s ‘emotion pictures’.