12 Jan 2018
Weekend Reading List
12 Jan 2018
White supremacists’ ‘yellow fever’, Degas’s achievement and creating that ‘Media Men’ list: what to read this weekend
- ‘The spreadsheet made a presumption that is still seen as radical: That it is men, not women, who are responsible for men’s sexual misconduct.’ Moira Donegan’s brave and moving piece on why she created the 'Shitty Media Men' list.
- Audrea Lim unpicks the racist myths driving the alt-right’s Asian woman fetish.
- In the latest issue of frieze, Michelle Orange argues that gender-neutral categories at awards ceremonies offer a small but potent opportunity for Hollywood to ‘disrupt an order so entrenched that, until now, few have thought to question it.’
- Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist James Risen’s account of his time as a national security correspondent for the New York Times details attempts by both the government and his own paper to muzzle his reporting. And it also contains this unnerving anecdote: ‘In another recent incident that gave me chilling insight into the power of government surveillance, I met with a sensitive and well-placed source through an intermediary. After the meeting, which occurred a few years ago in Europe, I began to do research on the source. About an hour later, I got a call from the intermediary, who said, “Stop Googling his name.”’
- Chin Tao-Wu examines fashion houses’ patronage of the arts.
- And finally, don’t miss Julian Barnes on Edgar Degas’s achievement.